Detroit Sports

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Pistons Roll, Jefferson Out

The Detroit Pistons walked into New Jersey and took care of the Nets last night, winning 89-80. Detroit's fire was lead by Rasheed Wallace and Lindsey Hunter. Hunter had 10 points in 20 minutes, Rasheed had 19 points and 13 rebounds.

New Jersey took a hard blow before the game. It was announced that Richard Jefferson would have season-ending surgery on his wrist.

"This is a tough blow," Thorn said. "Richard, in my mind, he's an All-Star player this year. You could depend on him as a guy who has played great for us. He's a guy who plays hurt and cares about his teammates."

Jefferson's wrist was hurt on a play against Detroit on December 27. Chauncey Billups chased Jefferson down the court, and hit him pretty hard, prompting the refs to call a flagrant foul.

"You can look at the play, I remember it vividly," Billups said on Tuesday night. "I was running down, I couldn't stop. We were both sprinting. I couldn't stop. I felt like when he got the ball he jumped back into me. Everybody knows I don't play like that."

Jefferson called the play dirty. "I wouldn't say it was a cheap shot," he said. "I don't think it was retaliation. I don't feel it was a cheap shot. Was it a bad play? Was it a dirty play? Yes. Is Chauncey Billups a dirty player? By no means, I don't think so.

New Jersey's hopes of contending for the Eastern Conference are all but gone. There is new speculation that Jason Kidd will demand a trade before the deadline, and the arrival of Vince Carter hasn't had much impact.

Detroit is starting to play better. They are holding opponents down low enough for them to win, and the bench is coming alive more. Trade rumors continue, as the Pistons are reportedly looking at the possibilties of acquiring Kwame Brown from the Wizards, and Oliver Miller from the ABA.

No deals are imminent or even in the stages of being close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home